Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Buns of Steel
This is not what you might think. It has nothing to do with the condition of my posterior but rather with my baking skills (ahem).

When I was 17 I did some baking in preparation for a road trip. Our youth group was driving 15 hours to go to Youth Convention and we thought it would be a good idea to bring along some snacks that didn't come in convenience packaging. I volunteered to make some buns.
It should be said that I am NOT a morning person. Not that I am grumpy in the mornings, waking up is just really hard for me before 8a.m. I thought I had given myself enough time. I thought wrong. I whipped up the recipe and set the buns to rise while I went about showering and gathering last minute items. When the time came to put the buns in the oven they weren't risen quite as well as I would have liked them to be but I didn't have the time to wait. I popped them in the oven and baked them as I waited to be picked up.

The buns looked great. They smelled great. They didn't even taste too bad for the first half hour or so as long as you didn't mind the feeling of a rock settling in your stomach afterward. Two hours after baking them they were pretty much inedible. We forgot all about them and moved on to the junk food. We spent the night in a motel and in the morning the boys were bored waiting for us girls to finish doing our hair or make-up or whatever and decided to rummage in the vans for something to do.

They found my buns. We found the boys a few moments later. They were chucking the buns against the side wall of the motel. Interestingly enough, the buns weren't disintegrating. However, the cement stucco on the side of the wall was. With every throw a little bit of cement would chip off, the buns remained whole and unscathed. My buns were dubbed "The Buns of Steel".

Ever since that trip 10 years ago whenever baking for a road trip comes up so do my Buns of Steel. It's too bad I don't have the steely posterior to match my baked goods.

P.S. I really can bake. This is one of my few flops and by far the most public, so don't fear the baking at my house!

Labels:


posted at 12:08 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Krista said...

That is hilarious, and a wonderful youth group memory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Works-For-Me Wednesday - June 13th edition
Lots and lots of babies!!!
My new look!
S.M.A.R.T. Habits Saturday - June 09/07
A little sewing project
3:30 a.m.
Pitiful!
My new feather duster!
The Five Senses
S.M.A.R.T. Habits Saturday - June 2, 2007

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: