Friday, June 01, 2007
Frugal Friday
My Frugal Friday tip this week is purchasing items on eBay. We live in a remote part of northern Canada and the closest real mall is a 14 hour drive from us.

I kid you not.

This also means that the nearest full size anything or fast food anything is at least an 8 hour drive. We do A LOT of shopping online. Mostly on eBay because the other alternative is to drive 8-14 hours. Each way. We have bought a little of almost everything on eBay.

Here's a sampling - solar panels, hot water heaters, jeans, books, movies, baby clothes, maternity clothes, shoes, patterns, engine overhaul kits, a web cam, digital camera batteries, Royal Doulton china, work out gear, fabric, axes(yup!), assorted tools, and that's just off the top of my head!

We are very careful before we bid to ensure that even with shipping costs to our part of the world that we are still getting a good deal. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the item you are looking for to be listed, sometimes not. We set a maximum amount that we are willing to spend and we stick to it. We wait until the very end of the auction before bidding to avoid driving up the price for ourselves or others. We have saved so much money this way and 90% of the items we buy are brand new in their original packaging.

Check out Biblical Womanhood for more Frugal Friday tips!

Labels:


posted at 12:53 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Mom2fur said...

Wow, you sure do live in a remote area! Frankly...you aren't missing much regarding "Fast Food," LOL! (You can actually get copycat recipes for many of those things on line. I make a pretty good "Big Mac Sauce," myself.)

I have bought and sold on eBay with much success. You are right...you have to figure in the shipping to see if it is a 'good deal.' Then again, if you have to drive that long, I can't imagine shipping could ever cost as much as gas!

Have fun with your eBay shopping!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

Wow! I, too, enjoy buying items off of Ebay, but you definitely beat me for sheer variety. You really do have to set your limit, and check for padded "handling" charges. I really appreciate sellers who charge only the actual shipping costs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Garden plots
I survived Day 1
I'm not usually the betting kind...
Lentil Soup
Works-For-Me Wednesday
What a glorious day!
Frazzled
Today's Tasks
S.M.A.R.T. Habits Saturday
Frugal Friday

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: