Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Sometimes you just have to bawl your eyes out...
I was perusing the People.com website last week. I like a bit of entertainment news every now and then and I like to keep an eye on the causes celebrities are promoting. I saw a photo of Courtney Cox wearing this shirt. 100% of the price of the shirt is going to an organization called Millenium Promise which is trying to end extreme poverty by the year 2025. The shirt was by Omni-Peace. I went to their website to read more. As I finished reading the home page I saw an image at the bottom that will be forever ingrained in my mind. I couldn't look away.

A toddler in Africa squatting down in a field with his/her tiny forarms resting on the ground, supporting his/her head.
In the background, a vulture waits.

It is truly horrible to see but I can understand why it is on the website. It certainly made me think. It made me grateful. It made angry to think that there are children who suffer because of corrupt governments. It made me want to help. It made me think of my own children and how it must feel to be a parent in such desperate circumstances. It compelled me to pray. I wonder what it must have felt like to be the photographer and the feeling of helplessness that must have filled him at seeing such a sight. (The photographer, Kevin Carter, won a Pulitzer prize in 1994 for the photo.)

I hope it will make more people consider helping those less fortunate than themselves, particularly those of ample means. Perhaps this is something Paris Hilton could get on board with now that "prison has changed her". We can all do something even if it is a small something. A lot of small gestures can become something great.

My own toddler happened to see me viewing the photo of this small child. He said to me, "Baby sad. Baby sad." He wanted to help the baby and he wanted to me to help the baby. I told him that the baby needed food and medicine and love. To which he replied, "Buy food. Buy food. Baby sad. Love." All afternoon he asked to see the picture of this sweet baby over and over. Finally I had to tell him that we couldn't buy that baby food but that we were helping other babies that needed help. I told him that God would have to look after this baby as we couldn't. I told my little son that the baby might have gotten food and medicine and love from another mommy or that God might have the baby with him in heaven. I asked him if he wanted to me to pray for the baby. "Pray Mommy. Baby sad." He has asked about the baby once or twice in the past couple of days but has not been so anxious about the baby anymore. Isn't it amazing that even the tiniest of children can feel such deep concern?

We are so blessed.

Labels: ,


posted at 12:59 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Nicole said...

I should so not have clicked on that link. Much like you, I am not sure I will ever forget that haunting photograph. Maybe I shouldn't ever forget it. That's why I looked at it to begin with. A constant reminder of the world around us, that we often times seem to forget.
I'm glad you shared it. Enjoyed your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
WFMW - Diaper bag supply basket
Our lives just got a little more interesting!
Hooray!
After pictures
Riley's Official First Day of Independent Sitting!...
Some big boots to fill...
A new approach...
Attaining Fitness - Try something new this week!
WFMW - Quick & Delicious Tea Biscuits
Migraine home remedies? ~ Update

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: