Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Works-For-Me Wednesday - June 13th edition
What to do with houseplants when you go on vacation...

Here is a great tip from my Gran’ma B. Before you go on vacation water your plants really well. Make sure the soil is moist but that the plant is not sitting in a puddle of water either. Take a clear garbage bag or clear blue recycling bag and place your plant in its pot at the bottom of the bag. Gather the bag at the top and tie a knot. If your plant is particularly delicate you may want to put in a little stick or stake to hold the weight of the knot.

This creates a little atmosphere for the plant. The water will eventually evaporate from the soil and end up on the “ceiling” of the bag. Once enough has collected it will “rain” in the bag, watering the plant. This works amazingly well.

This also works if you have a plant that is infested with bugs and you can’t seem to get rid of them. I had a plant tied up in bag for about 3 months once. The plant thrived and the bugs eventually died off.

Check out other WFMW tips at Rocks in My Dryer.

Labels:


posted at 12:06 AM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Jane said...

I need this tip. We don't have anyone to water plants when we go away and I always wonder what we will come home to!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Robin said...

You mean you're not supposed to just forget all about them and let them die? Who knew. I'll have to try this next time, if I remember that is.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

Great tip! Now if I could just go somewhere so I can try it out.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Just Another Day In Paradise said...

This is a great idea- we have a vacation coming up and this will come in really handy!
Thanks- Cheri

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger MC Milker said...

great tip- this is a constant problem for us!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

This is a great tip! Thanks for sharing!!!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I never considered this for watering purposes.... We did have a garden in a jar when I was a kid. We used one of those huge economy-sized mayonnaise jars.

Thanks for the reminder and the new use for this concept!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger The Lazy Organizer said...

Great idea! I can't wait to try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Lots and lots of babies!!!
My new look!
S.M.A.R.T. Habits Saturday - June 09/07
A little sewing project
3:30 a.m.
Pitiful!
My new feather duster!
The Five Senses
S.M.A.R.T. Habits Saturday - June 2, 2007
What 4 a.m. looks like...

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: