Saturday, October 13, 2007
Saturday
As I kid I remember Saturdays as both being a day for big chores and also as a day for special fun.

Saturdays were the days our pets' cages had to be cleaned, our rooms had to be picked up, and perhaps there was some seasonal work like raking or hauling firewood. After our chores were done we were free to do as we liked. If there was time and the weather was favourable we'd often go for a hike as a family. Otherwise, we'd have a fun evening together.

When I was really young, winter Saturday mornings were spent cross country skiing. My dad would get us all bundled up and take us to Jack Rabbits. It was a love hate sort of thing. We didn't enjoy the preparation but we enjoyed the activity.

I am trying to do a similar thing in our little family now. Today there is a lot to be done around the house but it is also a beautiful fall day. The kids and I are going to go and do a little bit of essentials shopping and then visit the fire hall as they are having an open house today. Later I plan on baking a special treat and curling up with the kids for the evening to watch a cartoon and read some stories.

I almost forgot the other part of Saturdays - preparing for Sunday. This is an area I really need to work on. My mom used to have us pick out all of our clothing, shoes, socks/tights, etc for Sunday mornings on Saturday nights so that there wouldn't be a mad scramble or frustration in the morning. I rarely do that anymore but find the times that I do to be very rewarding. I don't feel the panic of deciding what to wear, what to dress the kids in, wondering where item "x" is, etc. It really improves the Sunday morning mood!

Off we go! I will try to post some pictures later on from our trip to the fire hall.

Labels: ,


posted at 11:22 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Lynette said...

I have wonderful Saturday & Sunday memories as child too. Getting ready for church, polishing shoes, mom ironing our clothes etc on Saturday evening. The one saturday chore I did not like was the occasionlly window washing days. Ugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Miss Potter
Ultrasound pictures
WFMW - Make ahead mixes
On a happier note...
A little stunned...
Sweet baby
Oh my!
Feeling better
Crying for no particular reason
Fall routine

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: