Friday, November 16, 2007
Overdoing it
This afternoon the kids and I walked downtown to run some errands. They were cozy and warm in their Croozer and I was glad to get the exercise. About a minute into our walk a ligament that joins my leg and pelvis started to hurt. (This has happened with both kids so far and by the end of my pregnancies I'm lucky if I can walk without hobbling at all.) It took us about 10-15 minutes to get downtown.

We went to the drug store and picked up wipes, diapers for nighttime & naps (otherwise we try to use cloth), formula for Riley, vitamins for Hendrik and the new Martha Stewart magazine for me. Then we headed to the post office to mail a package and pick up a package. Our heat driven fan arrived today. It will sit on top of our wood stove to help circulate heat in our new house.

When we got back home Riley was asleep and as soon as the Croozer stopped Hendrik asked to "keep driving". I agreed and told him I would just take the diapers, etc into the house. I thought it would be nice to walk along Park Drive, a dirt road just across from our apartment. It isn't maintained in the winter but usually there is enough snowmobile and vehicle traffic to make it drivable - at least for a car. I felt like I was plowing snow the whole way. The snow wasn't as packed down as I thought it would be and the stroller sunk down in the snow as I pushed it along. I thought about going back after about 5 minutes of walking but that would have meant going uphill. I didn't like that option and figured it would be easiest just to keep going and then join up with one of the other roads and walk home on pavement. In hindsight, it was far from easier.


By the time I got to the end of Park Drive I could barely walk. The ligaments in my legs were sore and my belly was feeling strained too. I still had at least half the distance left to walk home. I had to go at a snail's pace. I wondered if I would actually make it home or not without having to sit down on the side of the road somewhere. I had left a note for Dwayne telling him where I had started walking so at least if I didn't show up in a reasonable amount of time he could come looking for me. We did make it home, finally. I think I probably looked like an 80 year old walking down the road. It took me an hour to get home. Normally that walk would probably take about 20-25 minutes. I won't be doing that again.


I am shuffling around tonight. It hurts to lift my feet off the floor. Actually it hurts just to sit still. Oh well, we all got some fresh air, the kids got their nap, and I got a dose of reality. There are just some things that shouldn't be attempted when you are 6 months pregnant. I am not superwoman!! :)


Did I also mention that I managed to frostbite my cheeks despite my efforts to cover up my face? I didn't even notice until I got home. My cheeks are all splotchy and mottled now. It looks lovely. :p

Labels: ,


posted at 11:59 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Oh wow - I can't even imagine weather and snow like that!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Sarah Jane Meister said...

I'm glad you were all right. Streching ligaments can be horrible! Send some snow down our way! It doesn't even feel like fall yet and I'm jealous! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
An Amy Butler portfolio for the "I love Paris!" sw...
Slacking
15 minutes
Handmade Holidays
Feeling productive!
My baby is growing up!
Je me souviens.
Lots to do!
Packing
WFMW - The Backwards Edition - Organizing sippy cu...

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: