Friday, February 01, 2008
Confronting ones mortality
I don't know about the rest of you moms out there but each time as I draw near to the birth of a new little addition to the family I can't help pondering my own mortality. I know that even though we live in a modern age with modern medical conveniences and technologies that there is still a chance that I may not live to see my own children grow up. Life and death are forever entwined in our world and for me this most joyous time will also bring sobering thoughts as I am reminded of my own humanity.

Psalm 139:1-16

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

This last verse is of great comfort to me. God cares for us so much that not only did he know us before we were born but he also knows what is to come in each of our lives. If God knows each of our days, then why should we worry about a single one of them? (see Matthew 6:25-34)


"Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Exerpt from "His Eye is On the Sparrow"
Lyrics: Civilla D. Martin
Composer: Charles H. Gabriel



Labels:


posted at 3:36 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Rain said...

I can really identify with this. I often find myself considering my own life's path and when it will end, and this is when my eternal perspective comforts me the most.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Lauren Christine said...

The Lord truly does have a plan, and numbers all of our days! Blessings-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Do the Next Thing
Bloggy Award!
Some blogs to check out!
Uber Pregnant
Six Unimportant Things Meme
Some decluttering tips
love is the greatest refreshment in life. - pabl...
Mystery solved!
Dwayne of All Trades
A sick little guy

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: