Wednesday, May 21, 2008
An open letter
Dear Friend,

I hope you won't take offense when you read this letter. You're not the kind of person that offends easily so I think I'm safe.

I have a confession to make.

I didn't clean up my house before you arrived. Not to say that I didn't do any cleaning at all but I certainly didn't do anything over the top. No floor to ceiling scrub downs, no major mopping of the floors, just a little vacuuming, some shuffling of laundry, and a quick clean of the bathroom.

The cleaning I did today was the sort of cleaning that I do when I know family is coming over. I'm not afraid to show you my (clean) laundry piles waiting to be folded and put away, or the collection of toys strewn across our living room. You'll also see the somewhat organized (in my own little way) chaos that is my desk and, if you peek under it, probably a dust bunny or two.

For you, I'm keepin' it real. I know you do the same for me.

Ten weeks after the birth of our first child I was still deluded enough to think that my house needed to be perfectly tidy and clean, my hair washed, and the baby and I's clothing colour coordinated or at least not clashing before I could let you past the front door. That was back when I didn't allow anything dropped on even a freshly mopped or vacuumed floor to come in contact with my firstborn without it being practically sterilized again first.

Fast forward three years. There are now three kids. My house is still fairly really messy most of the time, my hair is usually brushed, and my clothes likely match each other but not the baby's. I've discovered that dirt isn't the end of the world and that the odd stray germ is okay too. I've let go of (most of) the guilt of not having a perfectly organized home complete with fresh bread baked daily and a sparkle and shine on every applicable surface. (Where does this self imposed expectation and the accompanying guilt come from anyway?)

But Friend, you understand all of this. It doesn't phase you. You'd probably be disgusted with me if I had it all together at this juncture in our lives. While I'm aiming for something remotely encroaching on the fringes of perfection I know I'm no where near that and that's okay.

I am the joyful mother of three happy, healthy children who perfect my world. Thankfully children don't thrive on perfection, they thrive on love. In this house we're heavy on the love and trying not to worry about perfection.

So welcome to our home - share the mess and share the love!

Love ya!

Labels:


posted at 11:57 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Sarah Jane Meister said...

What a real, true letter! My house is never perfectly tidy either and I find myself stammering apologies to anyone who happens to drop by. Your post made me realize I need to focus more on what's going on in the home rather than have it look perfect all the time. :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Jerusha said...

Lol! That is so true. With 3 older children and 1 todler in our house, our house is never very tidy, apart from when we have guests to visit! Then it looks tidy for a little while. My mother has never been good on the tidying. Though I must say that a house that is too tidy just doesn't seem right. ; )

Thankyou for the comment you left on my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me



Name: Jenny
I blog lately at www.chickadeemanor.com
My Complete Profile




Recent Posts
Overheard...
Happenings
You know you live in the north when...
Bye bye buckets!!
Grouting the Shower
It's Official!
Happy Mother's Day!
A Boy and His Shirts
Our Little Sunbeam
Gardening tools!

Blog Archives

Labels

Miscellaneous

The WeatherPixie


Links

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:
Blogger

Images from:
istockphoto

Meter: